Member Monday with Kat Glossop!

Welcome to a new week here on the blog , which also means a new Member Monday. This week's Layout of the Week was chosen by design team member, Kat Glossop who chose the layout below by Pearl also known as "paperfections" on the message boards. Kat said, "Pearl’s LO is stunning, the rolled back torn papers, the splash of paint underneath, and the way the photo “hangs” on the page, gorgeous!"

Read on to find out more about Pearl and this layout in this little interview.
1. This layout is gorgeous, so pretty, how long did it take you to do? Do you normally spend a lot of time on a LO? Thank you so much , Kat ! I think this layout probably took one and a half hours to complete. It was created for my DT work for 52sketches52weeks , so it was based on a sketch. I like to pride myself as a fast/speed scrapper so usually I spend not more than an hour on a layout ,if I can help it .
2. There's also a lot of little details there, do you plan out your pages, or just start sticking things down? I had a framework to work with for sure here , using a sketch, but it simply took its own life once I got started. I do tend to go a little shabby chic/ dimensional when working with Webster's Pages papers. Here the sketch I worked with did suggest a three block vertical design but since I wanted to keep to one main background paper , I used a cardstock sticker border to "break up" the background. When I realized the sticker strip was not 12" long , I simply tore into the background paper. Then I used the negative of that sticker as a border again and proceeded to fill up the space in the sticker with Q&Co dimensional pearl stickers. I have to say this was an accidental discovery which worked out well here. To "dress" up the torn paper a little, I added some Prima cadoodles in colors which worked well with the paper here.
3. Is that a painted circle I can see beneath the torn paper?? Your pages seem to be "vintage with a twist", how would you describe your style? To emphasize the torn paper frame further, I painted a shimmerz style paint that I made using a little Gold Perfect Pearl powder and mod podge! I love how the paint was thicker in some parts than others. Perhaps I should totally embrace this "vintage with a twist' style going forward into 2010 !
I love moving between different styles with each page that I create . It really depends on the papers, products and pictures that I have on hand to work with. However the style that I would probably most want to identity with is modern, funky vintage - as seen in the work of Rhonna Farrer or Melody Ross. I love using color and that is the one constant that is in all my work, no matter the style I use.
4. Is there anything you simply can't go without on your pages? Looking at my last 10 creations, it would have to be patterned paper, mists , bling (of some form) ;)
You can check out more of Pearl's inspiring gallery here.

1 comment:

Leeann Pearce said...

stunning Layout...great pick kat!!!!